A pie full of flavours and textures that is a perfect weekend meal for the family. This recipe serves 6, or 3 if you find others are going back for seconds!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 frozen chicken thighs (or cheat with vegetable chicken pieces already prepared)
- 6 rashers of bacon, cut into large pieces
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 250g frozen mushrooms
- handful of thyme
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200ml milk
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry, or frozen and defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place the Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer for 20 minutes at 200 degrees, turn over, and cook for another 5 minutes. If there are any pink areas cook for another 5 minutes. Skip this step if you are using vegetable Chicken pieces.
- Boil some water and pour over the mushrooms to bring them back to life. Leave them to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken thighs and fry for 5-8 mins until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and cut into small pieces carefully (they will be hot). Tip the bacon pieces into the pan. Fry for 5 mins until crisp. Add the onion, mushrooms, and thyme, then fry on a high heat for another 3 mins until the onions start to colour. Tip the flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- With the pan off the heat, gradually stir or whisk in the chicken stock, followed by the milk, then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Spoon the filling into a large baking dish.
- Clean out the Air Fryer to remove any chicken remains and bacteria.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges or chips and place in the Air Fryer. Add a tablespoon of Olive Oil and rub it into the skins of the potatoes.
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Lift the puff pastry over the pie, gently pressing the edges to the side of the oven dish with your fingers and trim with a sharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake in the oven for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.
- Switch the Air Fryer on just after the Pie is in the Oven and set it to 200 degrees for 20 minutes to cook the potatoes.
- With 10 minutes of cooking time remaining cook a side of vegetables and prepare some gravy following the instructions on the packet or tin.