A flavoursome, weekend favourite that the kids can get involved in too. Which kid doesn’t love making tiny dumplings into random shapes? This meal will warm you up and keep you healthy too.
This recipe serves 4 people.
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 300g Vegetarian Meat Pieces
- 450ml Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 2 Onions chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 2 Carrots / Frozen Carrots cut into chunks
- 2 Celery Sticks sliced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 250g Mushrooms
- 150g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley
- 50g Olive Spread
- A pinch of Ground Pepper
- A side portion of vegetables of your choice (Broccoli, Cabbage, Leeks or Peas goes well)
- Heat the Vegetable Oil in a Large Saucepan. Add the Meat Pieces and cook until browned (high heat, 2-3 minutes)
- Pour the Stock into the Pan, then add the Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Celery, Bay Leaf and Mushrooms.
- Bring to the boil, put a pan lid on, and simmer for 20 minutes. If the liquid evaporates too much top up with Water.
- While the food is simmering, make the Dumplings. Mix the Flour, Parsley and Ground Pepper together. Add the Olive Spread and mix it all together using your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Add in around 2 or 3 tablespoons of cold Water to make a soft Dough. Knead the Dough for around 2-3 minutes, and then form it into 12 small Dumplings.
- Add the Dumplings into the Stew, letting them sit on the surface. Cover the Stew and Dumplings with a lid and cook for 25-30 minutes until the Dumplings are light and fluffy.
- 10 minutes before the cooking is complete prepare the Vegetable side following the instructions on the packet or tin.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!